Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Poem for Spring

Since today is the first day of spring I thought that I would share one of my favorite poems. This one in particular reminds me of spring and the daffodils that grew in the yard of my home in Missouri. It must have been a beautiful sight to see a sea of daffodils as the one described in the poem.

I wandered lonely as a Cloud
by William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a Cloud
That floats on high o'er Vales and Hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of dancing Daffodils;
Along the Lake, beneath the trees,
Ten thousand dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretch in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Outdid the sprarkling waves in glee: -
A Poet could not but be gay,
In such a laughing company:
I gaz'd - and gaz'd- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon the inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the Daffodils.

Wordsworth, William. "I Wandered lonely as a Cloud." The Longman Anthology: British Literature. Ed. David Damrosch and Kevin J. H. Dettmar. New York: Pearson Education, Inc, 2006. 526.

No comments: